Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum

Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum (https://www.a-classforum.com/forum/)
-   Mercedes A-Class Sedan General Discussion (https://www.a-classforum.com/forum/90-mercedes-class-sedan-general-discussion/)
-   -   5 star rating in Euro NCAP (https://www.a-classforum.com/forum/90-mercedes-class-sedan-general-discussion/942-5-star-rating-euro-ncap.html)

Kingsley 12-20-2018 11:04 AM

5 star rating in Euro NCAP

The Euro NCAP has given the A-Class its top rating of five starts, making it the best vehicle they have tested this year and the best in class for the small family vehicle segment. Most of this success can be attributed to the incredible safety and driving assistance systems that MB has placed. https://www.theautochannel.com/news/...st-europe.html
Quote:

The new A-Class has the very latest driving assistance systems with cooperative driver support, giving it the highest level of active safety in this segment, with functions adopted from the S-Class. For the first time, the A-Class is able to drive semi-autonomously in certain situations. It keeps a very close eye on the traffic situation: improved camera and radar systems allow it to see far ahead. The A-Class also uses map and navigation data for assistance functions. For example, Active Distance Assist DISTRONIC as part of the Driving Assistance package is able to support the driver in numerous route-specific situations, and predictively and conveniently adjust the speed e.g. when approaching bends, junctions or roundabouts.

Rick.P 12-23-2018 09:27 PM

Even with these great systems on board, how a driver reacts to certain situations is also a large part of it and why I suggest testing them in parking lots first.

Aaron76 12-27-2018 11:39 AM

While I'm all for more active safety systems, I'm not a huge fan of all this autonomous tech that takes control directly away from the driver. Where's the fun in driving when the car modulates your speed and steers for you?

Rick.P 12-28-2018 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron76 (Post 6896)
While I'm all for more active safety systems, I'm not a huge fan of all this autonomous tech that takes control directly away from the driver. Where's the fun in driving when the car modulates your speed and steers for you?

carmakers will have to adjust accordingly and unfortunately when shopping for the most affordable MB, we're on the short end of the stick

Duke 12-30-2018 12:54 PM

All brands have drastically increased the amount of autonomous safety systems and drivers aids in the newest models. Whether or not its something that they want to place, they will have to just to stay competitive. Look at whats standard in a Nissan Leaf.

Rick.P 12-31-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke (Post 6900)
All brands have drastically increased the amount of autonomous safety systems and drivers aids in the newest models. Whether or not its something that they want to place, they will have to just to stay competitive. Look at whats standard in a Nissan Leaf.

Yeah i have been quite surprised at the range of cars that get autonomous systems, even those more entry-level than the Leaf.
My S/O just got a 2018 Civic with what Honda calls "Honda Sensing" and this video does a good example of show it off:

Kingsley 01-15-2019 11:28 AM

Making so many learned driving skills automated is only going to result in less capable drivers on the road. Guess that wont matter when everything is connected and communicating on the same network.

Rick.P 01-15-2019 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingsley (Post 6916)
Making so many learned driving skills automated is only going to result in less capable drivers on the road. Guess that wont matter when everything is connected and communicating on the same network.

Responsibility will fall on governments handing out licenses, stepping up and adjusting driver training is the only solution.

Aaron76 02-08-2019 11:35 AM

Begs the question of what driving tests will be like in the future once all these driving aid systems become standard across the industry. A car that keeps you in lane and automatically brakes isn't a fair representation of your awareness.

Rick.P 02-13-2019 08:48 PM

I have a feeling it will mean more bad drivers on the road but no real solution to weeding them out, instead it will be a solution met by more driverless systems. One motivating factor might be insurance companies charging real drivers more for having what will be considered analog vehicles.
Already insurance prices play a major role in car buying and it will never die out.