Hatchback or Sedan- a comparison - Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Hatchback or Sedan- a comparison

So I know that the hatchback model is restricted by certain markets, but I found a great comparison article that looks at the various advantages and shortcomings of each. The sedan is the more affordable model of the two and surprisingly it may actually have more usable space in the boot. It will be slightly less powerful however, which also means better fuel economy. Which is everyone leaning towards at the moment? https://motorillustrated.com/2019-me...parison/20170/
post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:58 PM

sedans have been all too common among the Mercedes line up but because the CLA was a dud and thus left people shopping elsewhere within Mercedes and to rival brands, the A-Class sedan could become a hit. if not there's always many ways to configure the C-Class to attract some of those buyers willing to spend a bit more.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 11:29 AM

Since affordability is such a key factor for this model, the sedan may end up being the more popular version of the two. If sales for the hatchback model end up hitting their targets in Canada, I'm sure MB will consider expanding its availability. The AMG trims for it look incredible.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 06:52 PM

Looking at what people want these days, the higher up you shop the more it move beyond needs.
Having something different becomes part of that and its already playing out, the GLA for example sold well immediately and continues to.

What to say the A-Class hatch won't compared to the sedan?
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 11:59 AM

With sedan sales continuing to decline in NA, it just seems odd that MB would only release the hatchback model for Canada. Sure it can be used as a test market, but they could have just built a limited number of models to reduce their risk.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
With sedan sales continuing to decline in NA, it just seems odd that MB would only release the hatchback model for Canada. Sure it can be used as a test market, but they could have just built a limited number of models to reduce their risk.
I heard that only happened because the Canadian market relates more to the European market than it does to the U.S.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter

If sales of the hatchback hit their intended targets in Canada, you can be sure that MB will consider new markets. A lot of buyers in the US seem to be moving away from hatches and estates and into crossovers.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.P View Post
I heard that only happened because the Canadian market relates more to the European market than it does to the U.S.
As a Canadian I do see a love for hatchbacks around my region. You see quite a lot of Civic hatchbacks for example. But I think our market is more similar to the US market than the European because of all the crossovers, trucks, and SUVs we buy. My guess is because of our small population they'll be able to get better feedback on the A Class hatchback, rather than a limited run in certain US states.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 02:10 PM

The Canadian market is similar to European markets in some ways. Automakers have been hesitant about launching hatchbacks in the U.S. but not in Canada.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.P View Post
The Canadian market is similar to European markets in some ways. Automakers have been hesitant about launching hatchbacks in the U.S. but not in Canada.
Yeah that's very true, Canada is a weird middle ground that way haha

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page