Question about future A220 possible changes - Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-01-2019, 07:51 PM Thread Starter

Question about future A220 possible changes

I have a question about the possibility of a different engine/transmission option for the A220 in the future. It is apparent that the upcoming GLB SUV (which is supposedly based on the A Class underpinnings) will come with the 2.0 liter turbo engine producing 221hp and mated to a 8sp DCT. Does anyone know if Mercedes will be upgrading the A220 to that new combination, and if so might it be as early as next year's model? I was under the assumption that the current A220 engine is just "de-tuned" to produce less hp and torque. My guess is that if they did do the upgrade the model designation may change to the A250? If anyone has any idea or information it would certainly be appreciated . Thank you.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 PM

Your guess is highly possible and does account for the new naming scheme.
Unfortunately its hard to say during the massive changes taking place (new models, major refreshes, etc.) but i'd say you're on the ball.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM View Post
I have a question about the possibility of a different engine/transmission option for the A220 in the future. It is apparent that the upcoming GLB SUV (which is supposedly based on the A Class underpinnings) will come with the 2.0 liter turbo engine producing 221hp and mated to a 8sp DCT. Does anyone know if Mercedes will be upgrading the A220 to that new combination, and if so might it be as early as next year's model? I was under the assumption that the current A220 engine is just "de-tuned" to produce less hp and torque. My guess is that if they did do the upgrade the model designation may change to the A250? If anyone has any idea or information it would certainly be appreciated . Thank you.
I haven't seen or heard anything but this makes a lot of sense to me. I can see Mercedes doing this to save cost on price. I really hope you're right. Side note: the GLB looks like a really nice SUV.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 07:37 AM

Safe to say Mercedes will with how linear their engine offerings are across line up's, even globally.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 03:22 PM Thread Starter

Does anyone know if the new A220 has rear side torso airbags? Can't find any mention of them. I believe the C class has them, but I don't know if that safety feature trickled down to the new A Class.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregM View Post
Does anyone know if the new A220 has rear side torso airbags? Can't find any mention of them. I believe the C class has them, but I don't know if that safety feature trickled down to the new A Class.
I read that it has "side impact" bags for this purpose, not specifically for it, but torso protection is part of its capabilities
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Today, 12:13 PM

Garage
The A220 is the new entry-level model. The 2020 CLA has the "250" engine with 221 hp and is moving upmarket, like the CLS is to the E-Class. It's highly unlikely that there will be an A250 in the US in the next couple of years, if anything it will be for the refresh in 2022/23. The 2.0L in the car is detuned, so a simple ECU remap or plug-in tuner would be able to give it the power it should have had from the beginning if/when they have one available.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page