Mercedes-Benz A-Class Ride Sharing - Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-01-2018, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Mercedes-Benz A-Class Ride Sharing

Not really ride sharing in the traditional sense, but it looks like owners can share their Mercedes-Benz A-Class with a select group of people like family and friends using the Mercedes me app Car Sharing. Doesn't seem very secure from what I'm reading: New Mercedes-Benz A-Class set up for private car sharing
What I understand it the app opens the car for whoever booked the driving time, but the vehicle key needs to be left inside the car by the owner ahead of time. Not something I would ever want to do. May be better to just hand my family the key in person.
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:59 PM

Although it does exposes those who enroll to some vulnerabilities, the odds of some issues happening will be slim and won't matter compared to all the good that comes out of this. Plus at the end of the day it means more MB's sold and more people who can't afford an MB can get into one, lots of win-win.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 03:09 PM

While at first it does sound like this system is susceptible to abuse, Mercedes seems to have implemented some smart security measures. It looks like the vehicle key can only be used during the sharing period, and will be disabled otherwise. There are a lot of people already utilizing a car sharing platform I think it its a natural fit for MB. No better way to market a car, than to get people to drive it.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
While at first it does sound like this system is susceptible to abuse, Mercedes seems to have implemented some smart security measures. It looks like the vehicle key can only be used during the sharing period, and will be disabled otherwise. There are a lot of people already utilizing a car sharing platform I think it its a natural fit for MB. No better way to market a car, than to get people to drive it.
Exactly, just about anyone can get in these which is powerful. Easy to let someone else take on the big financial obligation of owning it but anyone can buy in a small time slot. I think down the road this could be a big part of what drives auto sales.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-31-2018, 01:30 PM

Car subscription services and ride sharing are going to explode in the auto industry in the coming years. Not only does it allow people to get behind the wheel of cars they regularly couldn't afford, but it should also serve as a way of properly testing a vehicle before deciding to purchase.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-08-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

can't imagine anyone willing to share their personal vehicles withe others via this method, heck I wouldn't let anyone touch my A-Class let alone drive it without my presence. This is good for rentals, but I doubt they'll have something like the A-Class in their fleet.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-09-2018, 01:27 PM

Well as of now the ride sharing is only for friends and family, but I have a feeling they will launch a similar subscription service to BMW's Access. It is pretty tempting to not have to pay for repairs and insurance, with the ability to swap to another model whenever you'd like.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page