Mercedes A-Class Going Digital - Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Mercedes A-Class Going Digital

Someone peeked into the Mercedes-Benz A-Class test mule and spotted a all-digital instrument cluster. Motor1 thinks this could be reserved for higher trim models while the entry level trims may receive the old school dials. Hopefully this is standard equipment for the A-Class because full digital displays are more versatile. I've seen some where the map could be displayed in the center or car diagnostics.

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2017, 04:45 PM

Not sure if it's a good thing or bad. I've seen a few digital displays and they were better looking than this one. Anyways, the perspective isn't the best, maybe I should sit inside to fully understand it.
One more thing that I'm not sure about is this plastic panel between the displays. It looks awkward to me. It takes a lot of space for nothing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2019-mercedes-a-class-spy-photo.jpg (248.1 KB, 0 views)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-14-2017, 03:47 PM

Any move they make to go even more digital should come to no surprise, heck, even the new G Wagon is coming with a host of new tech, a very first and well over due thing for this iconic MB product:

It seems like all throughout their lineup, having this next generation infotainment setup is the way to go. Sadly this could mean more nannies for cars that didn't have them before.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-15-2017, 03:44 PM

With this revolutionary huge infotainment display coming up, should we expect Mercedes to get rid of Apple Carplay and AA, and bring their own software?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-25-2017, 05:06 AM Thread Starter

I hope not because the majority of buyers are so used to those two systems. It could hurt their sales if Mercedes decides to do away with Apple Carplay and AA in the A-Class because some buyers would rather go for another brand than not have them.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-03-2017, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert P. View Post
With this revolutionary huge infotainment display coming up, should we expect Mercedes to get rid of Apple Carplay and AA, and bring their own software?
It would do more harm than good if you really think about it unless they make integration so good and so flawless that no one would care. At this rate however, I doubt it. Apple Car Play and Andriod Auto are becoming more of an industry standard at this point.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-11-2017, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

There is a push from automakers to release their own system instead of relying on AA and Carplay, but they're so clunky at this point I'd rather not deal with them and just mount my phone to the dash somehow...I'm sure Mercedes has though of the pros and cons of moving away from the industry standard.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-12-2017, 09:13 AM

I think you can rely on car maker like Mercedes in terms of launching their own software or any other trademarked feature. I'd love to see their rival of AA and Carplay.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 03:19 PM

The best thing to take away from this the fact that if you really depend on APPs and functions exclusive to your mobile device then either one of the Andriod or Apple systems will work for you. All systems are good, at the end of the day it depends on what you as a user are looking for..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Google map is what I rely on the most, a lot of other apps won't be missed but Google maps is essential to me. Other navigation systems are lacking in comparison. Other than that, AA and Carplay aren't all that important to me and the trade-off is worth it. Especially for a screen like this:

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page