Mercedes A-Class Gets Renault-Made Diesel Engine - Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-09-2018, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

Mercedes A-Class Gets Renault-Made Diesel Engine

At launch, the Mercedes A-Class will only be offered with an A180d diesel, along with A200 and A250 petrol models, all paired with a standard seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. Now CarScoops has revealed the origin of that turbocharged 1.5-liter diesel engine and its sourced from the Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi Alliance.

Also found in models under the Dacia badge, the engine pretty much remained unchanged in its migration into the A-Class aside from a new ECU, alternator, AC compressor, and other miscellaneous parts.

All these modifications combined gives the fourth generation A-Class a modest boost to 114 horsepower and 192lb-ft of torque. Sent to the front wheels, Mercedes-Benz claims the A180d should be able to sprint from 0-62mph in around 10.5 seconds and hit a top speed of 126mph. Its performance is very modest, so one needs to plan ahead when overtaking on freeways.

Fuel economy is where the A-Class diesel falls behind with an average rating of 68.9-62.8 UK mpg or 57.4-52.3 US mpg, all the while spewing out around 108 to 118 g/km of CO2.

Called the OM 608 in Germany, the A180d model has a starting price of 31,395.15 with tax, which can be directly converted to $37,315 USD at current exchange rates.
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-13-2018, 12:01 PM

I think I'm going to hold out until we get confirmed specs for the AMG variants. I'd much rather the 2.0 liter engine that's rumored to have an output of more than 300hp. These models are great for anyone looking for an an entry level MB though, as it looks like its coming with kit far above its category.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2018, 01:33 PM

If it's a diesel, this specific variant of the Mercedes A-Class may only be available in Europe and not North America. Automakers usually leave that continent out when it comes to personal diesel cars and the ones that does make it over are pickups.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APlus View Post
If it's a diesel, this specific variant of the Mercedes A-Class may only be available in Europe and not North America. Automakers usually leave that continent out when it comes to personal diesel cars and the ones that does make it over are pickups.
Instead we should be seeing a hybrid version along with the rest of the world, even in markets the diesel model is sold in. A PHEV version was spied months back during extreme cold weather testing conditions.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2018, 03:23 PM

Makes one wonder why they decide to come out with a diesel option when the hybrid is coming out anyways. The diesel buyers may as well wait for the one with better fuel savings.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-29-2018, 10:35 AM

Still a shame to not see it offered elsewhere because its fuel economy numbers are outstanding at 57.3 mpg, though the engine's power output could be better.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 06-05-2018, 01:13 PM

I'm sure that a hybrid model would be capable of delivering similar, if not better fuel economy. Has there been confirmation of an electric variant of the A-Class? Because I don't see much mention of it.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley View Post
I'm sure that a hybrid model would be capable of delivering similar, if not better fuel economy. Has there been confirmation of an electric variant of the A-Class? Because I don't see much mention of it.
If its a PHEV then I hope range better than the Q5 PHEV is what we get. It gets 25 MPG's of all-electric range which is not enough.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-31-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.P View Post
If its a PHEV then I hope range better than the Q5 PHEV is what we get. It gets 25 MPG's of all-electric range which is not enough.
Where did you hear that from?
Last I checked its all-electric range was within the 40's and that just being conservative. Real world range might be closer to 50.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page