A-Class Hatch to Dethrone VW Golf R? - Mercedes A-Class Sedan USA Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

A-Class Hatch to Dethrone VW Golf R?

How likely is this to happen? Mercedes seems to be on a roll after seeing success with the CLA. A-Class sedan and hatch could be even bigger.

Read on:

Quote:
The new Mercedes-AMG A35 represents a very welcome expansion for the AMG brand but the new player from Stuttgart enters a segment with very strong rivals. And none of them is stronger than the VW Golf R.

Pistonheads is bringing the two hot hatches together in order to find out if the new Mercedes-AMG A35 is the one that will finally beat the VW Golf R.

For the past half of a decade the VW Golf R has been the undisputed king of the everyday hot hatches, the ones that wonít break your spine if you choose to daily them but still offer supercar-humbling performance on a twisty road with a dedicated driver behind the wheel.

The fastest Golf available from the factory displays a very wide range of abilities, being effortless in daily commutes and pretty unstoppable on a b-road no matter the weather. The all-wheel drive makes sure that every last one of its 296hp will hit the tarmac, the steering is accurate and the chassis shows a talent that simply makes the driver smile every time.

The most powerful A-Class this side of an A45 comes with a very similar powertrain, offering more or less the same power figures with the Golf. Compared to its rival, the A35 comes with a more characterful engine but the differences are smaller than you might think.

However, the Mercedes does need the optional adaptive suspension in order to offer the same composure with the Golf R on a badly surfaced b-road. Still though, the two rivals are quite closely matched, according to Dan Prosser.

So, which one of the two takes the cake? Letís watch the video and find out.
source: https://www.carscoops.com/2019/07/ca...ff-its-throne/

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-15-2019, 08:58 AM

I think the A-Class could out perform the Golf R. But I don't know if it could ever beat the Golf's status as a top performance hatchback.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D0nuts View Post
I think the A-Class could out perform the Golf R. But I don't know if it could ever beat the Golf's status as a top performance hatchback.
Mercedes of all automakers will be able to dethrone the Golf R.

Only downside will be price when comparing new vs new. However, as hotter versions flood the used markets, that price gap will get smaller.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-28-2019, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick.P View Post
Mercedes of all automakers will be able to dethrone the Golf R.

Only downside will be price when comparing new vs new. However, as hotter versions flood the used markets, that price gap will get smaller.
I can definitely see that. I'm very interested to see what both cars will go for on the used market.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-06-2019, 09:01 PM

Likewise.
Mercedes is the better long term choice regardless, in my opinion.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page